Walter Gropius , founder and head of the Weimar Bauhaus, established the pottery workshop of his art school in Dornburg in 1920. The existence of a traditional ceramic workshop with the potter Max Krehan who was willing to be head of the training spoke for this site outside Weimar. In addition there was an empty building available, the Marstall – property of the country. Gerhard Marcks was appointed to become the design master.
The history of the Bauhaus Pottery only lasted almost five years. However, during this period a new aesthetics for ceramic vessels of European dimension was developed under simplest conditions. A lot of the most important German potters of the 20th century underwent their training here: Theodor Bogler , Otto Lindig , Marguerite Friedlaender , Werner Burri , Johannes Driesch , Franz Rudolf Wildenhain .